Grace is available to speak on: Iconography, Art and more »
Additional Information: Athella Iconography
Grace a fine artist, specializing in painting panel icons, egg tempera medium, gilding, gold, and iconography design.
Grace lectures and presents professionally on iconography, theology of the icon, techniques and materials use for painting the icon, and history of the icon in Christianity.
Athella Icon Studio established in 2003 and is a frequently visited site by those interested in icons or learning about the ancient art of iconography. Grace produces many traditional, classical, icons for church’s, collectors and the famous; offering a window to heaven in each of her pieces. Her objective is to continue the legacy of iconography handed down to her through her teacher, by teaching and bringing the face of God to people and to the world through the beauty of iconography.
After earning her degree studying embellishment design at The Chicago Art Institute, Chicago, IL. USA.
Grace embarked on a spiritual journey, encountering comparative religions. While studying Christian theo
logy she engaged in icon studies. Her iconographic training was under the tutelage of renowned Iconography master Ksenia Pokrovsky and the Izograph School of Iconography based in Moscow, Russia, and the USA. Grace has also worked with and studied along side of many other Master, and fellow iconographers throughout the world. Grace has lived abroad and traveled to England, Ireland, France, Russia, and Italy, immersing herself in church art, important historical sites, art collections, culture, history, and techniques of the ancient art of icons. She shares many of her experiences with students during her workshops.
Grace is a professional speaker who loves to talk about her experiences in travel, spiritual life, icons, theology, history, materials used in the making of the icon and joy that comes from embracing God in every moment.
Grace is a native New Yorker, a city girl at heart, now living in Mystic, Connecticut USA. She married the love of her life Richard and is the Mother of two amazing daughters.
TV and Radio Appearances
- Has Lectured multiple times on the talk show The Voice of Orthodoxy
- Interviewed on the T.V. show Cross Roads on OR T.V.
- Front cover and feature article in the local Day newspaper (October 2003)
- The Mystic River Press Magazine
- Interviewed by Everyday People with Ann Buonocore news talk radio 980am WXLM (May 2012)
- Process of making an Icon
- History and Theology of Icons
- Egg Tempera and Materials of the iconographer used in making Icons for a hands on lecture
- Theophanes the Greek Iconographer
- Andrei Rublev, the Russian Iconographer
- Pictorial lecture on Russia, and its’ The Golden Ring (historical map of cities important to history of Russian Orthodoxy)
- Pictorial lecture on Rome and its importance to Orthodoxy